Sharon D’Lugoff’s father, Art D'Lugoff, was a music promoter who opened The Village Gate nightclub in 1958. Although it started out featuring folk music it turned into more of a jazz club built on 3 different levels including a theater where shows and revues were performed. There used to be lots of places along Bleecker Street where live music was played -- many family owned and run -- and Sharon began working with her father as a teenager. The Village Gate closed in 1994 but its famous sign still hangs at the corner of Thompson and Bleecker Streets. (Summary Written By: Elizabeth Downs)
Transcript not yet available. .
This is a community-based oral history project at Jefferson Market Library that works to both preserve and document Greenwich Village neighborhood history through the stories of people who have experienced it.
From December 2013 - April 2014, trained volunteer interviewers worked to collect over 100 oral histories of people who have a longtime relationship with Greenwich Village. This collection represents the voices of individuals who have lived, worked or spent over 20 years in the neighborhood.
We invite you to browse these oral histories - unedited interviews between Interviewers and Storytellers. These recordings will also be accessible at The New York Public Library in The Milstein Division, in circulating collection at Jefferson Market Library, and on this website.